RailSense VM1 Void and Temperature Monitoring System
In any rail network, ‘voids’ can develop underneath the track, which can be caused by drainage issues, gaps between the sleeper and ballast or even contaminated ballast.
These voids, if not monitored and maintained regularly, can cause movement of the rails as trains pass, and contribute to wear and fatigue. In extreme cases, significant voiding can cause derailment.
The RailSense VM1 monitors and records any vertical movement of the rail (as well as rail and ambient temperature if required), with results being displayed remotely at any location, using the mobile phone network and a secure server. Hazardous conditions can be analysed automatically, with alerts issued and trends can be monitored to allow suitable maintenance procedures to be planned.
The main features of the RailSense VM1 are:-
- Linear Displacement sensor-based movement sensing
- 100mm vertical displacement range, 0.1mm accuracy
- Secure communication of data over the mobile phone network
- On-board GPS receiver
- Alarm event transmission (SMS text or email)
- Automatic wake-up on the approach of a train
- Data time stamped & stored locally in the event of comms loss
- Environmental sealing to minimum IP67
- Robust carrier plate that can withstand contact with ballast
- Rail and ambient temperature monitoring can be added as an option
- Temperature-only option available – please refer to separate page for details